Designed in the style of Italian Renaissance Revival by Patrick Charles Keeley, a
19th century architect of some distinction, the Church of the Immaculate Conception is an
imposing structure of white New Hampshire granite. The interior design, particularly noted
for its spacious openness and ornate plaster work, is considered to be the work of Arthur
Gilman, the architect responsible for crafting the master plan of Boston's Back Bay
The church is proud to be the location of the largest surviving organ built by Elias and George Greenleaf Hook. The walnut case holding the
pipe work was designed by Patrick Keeley, the building's architect. The gold colored pipes
seen from the body of the church are "speaking pipes", an actual working part of
the organ. The organ stops were crafted with a French Romantic voice and this magnificent
instrument was inaugurated in concert on February 3, 1864.
Surviving through several decades of urban decline and urban renewal, the Church of the
Immaculate Conception has remained, like the cathedrals of medieval Europe, an anchor for
the neighborhood and a place of pilgrimage for those who seek solace and guidance. Its
continued existence is testimony to the dedication and hard work of its Jesuit priests and
brothers and the faith of the surrounding community.